Coaching a Girls on the Run site is one of the most rewarding volunteer experiences you can have! We at GOTR are always looking for healthy minded, positive and FUN individuals to lead a team of 20 girls. Parents, teachers, school administrators, college students, runners, non-runners, and people who are committed to developing and celebrating our youth make great coaches! Coaches serve as role models and mentors for girls who participate at more than 60 GOTR sites in Northeast Florida. At each site, 2-3 coaches (at least one female) deliver the GOTR curriculum, twice a week for an hour and 15 minutes. Most of our GOTR sites meet after school. If you are passionate about the GOTR mission, committed to working with a group of girls throughout the 10 week season in the spring or fall, and able to bring energy and joy to each practice, please join us!
The coach application will take you between 10 and 15 minutes to complete.
Coaches must be at least 18 years old.
We are done recruiting for Spring Coaches, check back in April 2017 to apply for our Fall Season.
How Do I Become A Coach?
- Complete the Coach Application and background check
- Attend one of three Coaches' Training Sessions
- Commit to attending all lessons offered each season and the End-of-Season 5K
- Attend Coaches' Meetings (Kick-off, Mid-season, End-of-Season)
- CPR/First Aid Certified
Qualifications to be a Girls on the Run Coach
- A commitment to upholding the mission of Girls on the Run -Enthusiasm!
- Able to attend all lessons during the season and to be active with girls.
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- If a parent, must not bring other non-participating children to lessons with you
- Prompt reply to all communication with parents, girls and GOTR organization
- Receive a positive evaluation by parents of our participants at the conclusion of the season
- CPR/First Aid Certified
A Coach's Commitment
- Total commitment to the mission of Girls on the Run
- Willing and able to be active with the girls
- Attend and lead all lessons with a positive attitude and enthusiasm! (Lessons 2/week, for 1 to 1.5 hours, for 10 weeks)
- Be at the End-of-Season 5K to run with and cheer on your girls
- Complete four hours of Coaches' Training (mandatory)
- Attend three mandatory Coaches' Meetings (before, during, and after the season ends)
- Uphold Girls on the Run core values
- Have fun! Be creative! Be wild! RUN with your girls!
Benefits of Coaching:
- Free Girls on the Run training (lunch or dinner provided with training)
- Free enrollment of one daughter (discounted enrollment on others) into the program (if you have an 8-11 year or 12-14 year old daughter who would like to participate)
- Free GOTR t-shirt and water bottle
- Free entrance to the GOTR 5K
- Chance to win raffle prizes throughout the season
- Receive coach appreciation
Girls on the Run Core Values
- Drug and tobacco free
- Live outside the "Girl Box"
- Being yourself
- Doing your best
- Live in the moment
- Have fun!
Save-the-Dates for Coaches
SPRING 2017 Season: February 11th-April 29th 2017
Coaches' Training Dates followed by CPR/First Aid Training
- Saturday, January 14th 2017 8:00a.m.-1:00p.m: New GOTR Coaches Training; First Aid/CPR Training 1:00-5:00pm
- Saturday, January 21st, 2017 8:00 a.m.-1:00p.m: New GOTR Coaches Training; CPR/First Aid 1:00p.m – 5:00 p.m.
- Saturday, January 28th 2017 8:00a.m. - 1:00p.m: New GOTR Coaches Training HEART AND SOLE COACHES NEED TO ATTEND THIS TRAINING; CPR/First Aid 1:00p.m-5:00p.m.
Spring 2017 Coaches' Meetings TBA
End of Season 5K: Saturday, April 29th, 2017
For more information on our sites offered this Spring, please visit our Register Your Girl page. For additional information on coaching please contact Program Manager Teri Thrower at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Access Coach Resources